In honor of Memorial Day, we’ve prepared for you a short quiz that takes a closer look at the federal holiday and also at the American Civil War, which claimed more lives that any conflict in U.S. history and established the country’s first national cemeteries.
1. Which flowers are typically associated with Memorial Day?
- Yellow roses
- Red poppies
- White peonies
✔️Right Answer: Red poppies
2. Which state was the first to officially recognize Memorial Day?
- New York
✔️Right Answer: New York
3. At 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day, Americans should have a moment of silence, or, listen to which song?
- The Star Spangled Banner
- God Bless the USA
- The Battle Hymn of the Republic
✔️Right Answer: Taps
4. Which state was the first to secede from the United States?
- South Carolina
✔️Right Answer: South Carolina
5. What was the name of the battle which began the Civil War?
- First Battle of Bull Run
- Battle of Shiloh
- Battle of Gettysburg
- Battle of Fort Sumter
✔️Right Answer: Battle of Fort Sumter
6. Where did Robert E. Lee surrender in 1865?
✔️Right Answer: Appomattox
7. Who was president when the Civil War began?
- Thomas Jefferson
- John Quincy Adams
- James Buchanan
- Abraham Lincoln
✔️Right Answer: Abraham Lincoln
8. Which word is missing from the Gettysburg Address?
✔️Right Answer: Liberty
9. Which Amendment to the United States Constitution abolished slavery at the end of the Civil War?
- Twelfth Amendment
- Third Amendment
- Nineteenth Amendment
- Thirteenth Amendment
✔️Right Answer: Thirteenth Amendment
10. How many enslaved people were freed as a result of the Civil War?
- 2 million
- 4 million
✔️Right Answer: 4 million